Tuesday, March 10, 2009

33w5d - bedrest

Since Little Dude is giving me high blood pressure and elephant feet, I was set to start bedrest today after a little wrap-up at the office this morning.

I went back to the hospital for more monitoring this afternoon and had a miserable time of it. I think I started out stressed from work and I was anxious to get done. So my BP was high right from the start.

Then, since it was high they had to do bloodwork :( So I have two more holes and of course that had me crying and a mess. Then my BP went up even more. Then they said I had to wait an hour for my lab results, and I wanted to go home! My phone was dead so I couldn't call Josh and I started getting pretty anxious and then I couldn't stop crying. They told me if I couldn't calm down they wouldn't let me go home b/c my BP was 174/101! When your BP is dangerously high, the machine beeps so the nurses know... it kept going off every time and that sound was making me more anxious and scaring me so I just could not calm down. I called Josh a hundred times from the hospital phone and he never answered, which was making me both mad AND upset. Finally I talked myself into rolling over and trying to just go to sleep to see if that would help. It took awhile but I managed to finally get myself calmed down and after 45 minutes with consistently better numbers they finally let me go home. I was there about three and a half hours this time.

BUT now my doctor put me on strict bedrest. :( I have to be in bed lying on my side at all times, except to go to the bathroom and eat. I'm not even allowed to be on my back. And I'm not allowed to drive anywhere and they wouldn't even let me walk to my car... I had to ride in a wheelchair. I felt like such a dork.

So now I'm home trying to comply. It's been like two hours and I'm already bored and lonely and sick of being on my side. And I'm not sure how I'm going to eat since Josh won't make anything but peanut butter sandwiches and mac n' cheese. Hello, sodium!

The doctor told me they like to deliver by 38 weeks, so if I hit 39 and haven't gone yet, they'll probably induce then. I'm a little anxious now to know it's almost time, but I think the next couple weeks are going to seem even longer than the last 33.


marsha said...

Oh, Shannon - you poor thing. I feel bad for all those sticks - I know how much you hate needles, and that's a lot even for those who don't mind it.

Bedrest is boring but not all bad. Sleep now because you'll soon be sleep deprived! ;-)

And you could send me an e-mail . . .

Erin said...

Aw Shannon, I know how antsy you get when you're out of commission for awhile :( Good thing you have a laptop :) Do you need any fun DVDs to watch? Books to read? Let me know what goodies I can bring over that will help make this time go faster. Love you!

Kimmie said...

Shannon, I'm so sorry! I'm going to second what Marsha said about taking advantage of the time to sleep, though--pretty soon you'll forget what sleeping was! Hang in there--let me know if you need anything--I'll be thinking about you :)

Peppermint Patty said...

So what was the outcome with Josh? Why didn't he answer his phone?